Barton Hutton was born on May 1st 1903 he was one of five sons to Alfred and Bertha Hutton, a local cartage contractor and brick manufacturer. At one stage Barton’s father, Alfred Hutton owned around 150 Clydesdale draught horses and operated 55 carts. Around 50 of these horses were agisted in rotation at his farm at Kingsmeadows, about where the Kingsmeadows High School is situated today. The Hutton’s Brick Factory was situated on Westbury Road in Launceston, because of the maintenance required in running an early brick factory Barton's father purchased shares in Glasgow Engineering obtaining them from William Peddle. Barton's father Alfred Hutton was also a director of the National Hall Co., Tasmanian Insurance Co., McHugh Bros., and managing director of the Tasmanian Brickworks. He was a member of the general committee of the Launceston Bank for Savings, of the Launceston Competitions Association, of the Royal Auto Car Club of Tasmania, and also of the Launceston, Longford, Westbury, and Devonport Show Societies.
Barton Hutton was educated at Glen Dhu Primary School and at Launceston High School. In 1916 he was apprenticed to Glasgow Engineering as a fitter and turner. Three of his brothers had also done their apprenticeships at the firm, Stanley Hutton, who began his apprenticeship in 1912, Winston Hutton followed and Collin Hutton, who had died in a motor cycle accident while still working for the company. Barton Hutton was the only one to stay on with the company after his apprenticeship had completed, and had worked his way up to become the machine shop foreman. He married Elsie Mae Guy in 1929 and had one son Alfred and daughter Beverley. Barton Hutton was also a keen yachtsman and was a life member and commodore of the Tamar Yacht Club for many years. He took over management of the Company in 1937 after Allen Morris retired due to ill health.
Barton Livingstone Hutton passed away on January 31 1974 aged 71 after serving a total number of 58 years with the Company.